I would have written a blog from the geographical location of Israel, but all the websites were in Hebrew, including blogger, and I couldn't figure out what it was telling me to fix...
When people ask, "So how was it?" I guess the only thing i can tell them is--It was crazy.
In short- I spent time in Galilee, Tel Aviv, the dead Sea, and Jerusalem. We played in the Mediterranean, splashed in Galilee, floated in the dead sea, walked the streets of the old city, walked the streets of the new, walked the walls of the old city, ate falafels, played with Sheri and Family, explored Tel Aviv with Tal...and had adventure after adventure.
I guess what I would really like to tell you about is the texture of the experience. In some ways it seemed pretty normal outside the "old city" but then i forget: its a little different then america when EVERY where you go, your bag gets searched or put through an X-ray machine, you get wanded, or your car gets searched. Security at the entrances to everything,(including corner markets) and all the way along the road- Check points, check points. Soldiers with their guns over their shoulders- and it wasn't so much the automatic weapons, loaded and carelessly strung on the backs of the soldiers that was disturbing, but more the age of the soldiers. In Israel everyone, boys and girls, have to join the army at 18 and serve 3 years.
There is the call to prayer that happens 5 times a day, including a 4 am call to prayer, where a voice sings a melodic verse through the loud speaker of every mosque. Its quite enchanting. From the top of the mount of Olives, you can hear many many calls to prayer echoing off the hills.
The Christians have built cathedrals over every flipping thing. Grr.
The Jews are starting to build a wall, yes, when the rest of the world is tearing down walls they are building them, i guess to further divide themselves from the palestinians...
We could only drive through the west bank during daylight. Our friend who has lived there his whole life had never even driven through at all.
I guess apart from the things to see, and the friends we got to play with--the thing that sticks the most is the severity of the conflict between the Jews and Palestinians... We took a photo to express the unrest. Its a photo of Erin, with 2 different coke cans. One in Hebrew, one in Arabic. A kind cabbie explained to us that arabic coke is made in Ramalah (west bank-Palestinian city) while Hebrew coke is made in Tel Aviv. They don't even trust each other with their coke. (Arabic coke is better) (this photo is at the end of the slide show)
To conclude my long, yet informationless ramble, I would like to say that getting into the country took 10 minutes. However getting out took almost 3 hours, NO lines, but going through X-ray machines, metal detectors, being interviewed, having all our luggage searched by hand, and tested for explosives, along with every liquid item being tested, searched, searched, searched. I felt quite safe getting on that plane. sheesh.
Home again. Jetlag heaven.
7 comments:
OH my goodness!! You have been gone forever! Looks fun.
the coke cans made me feel all sad inside... especially after going through the pictures again.
le sigh
its strange how something as simple as a can of soda, can somehow embody the fear, and hate of millions.
your pictures are insanely awesomely gorgeous. i want to leave america stat.
Hi Jo, This is Jami and Mike! We found your blog off of Ponds. It looks like you've been doing some amazing things... Your pics are awesome! I had to laugh at the video clip of when you were in China. I spent 5 months in China, and it was an amazing experience.. but yeah the language is crazy! I was always saying everything wrong. Well I'm excited to be able to keep in touch with you through blogs. It looks like your doing great. Our blog address is ostrandermjb.blogspot.com
On my blog go look at the yellow two-sided apron that I made. The minute after I finished it Isaku said, "You should give that to Jo." And I was thinking that this has happened many times...people seem to associate the color yellow with you. I told him it might be a little over the top frilly for you. But if you think you'd like it it is yours in a heartbeat.
Have a glorious day!
I am so glad you made it home safely and had such an amazing experience! Your pictures are amazing, as I anticipated they would be...lots of loves, have fun with Ais in Canada. I am anxiously awaiting your next summer slide show!
Post a Comment