Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dear Dad,


I thought I would write you a tribute... but, that sounds so...impersonal all of the sudden. Maybe thats why I haven't attempted until now. So I thought I'd write you a little note, even though I don't think you get email anymore.
It has been real hard watching you hurt and be sick and fight and try to stay optimistic and lose then win then lose again. I can't imagine how miserable and scary it must have been for you- I only know selfishly how miserable and scary it was for me. It really sucked dad. Your supposed to still be here. I haven't grown up yet. I know you'd still be here if you'd had your say... but I miss you dad, and I miss you for everything you won't be here for. But I'm glad I had a year to begin to say goodbye.
I got to be the last to say goodbye to you. I got to watch you leave. I felt real privileged for that. So thank you for letting me be with you, you waited for everyone else to leave.
Did you know that Mom sent out a mass text saying a little later saying, "her gone" that morning. I watched her type it in, i thought she was going to spell check it, but instead she sent it to everyone in the world. It was really funny dad. "her gone" that's funny.
The funeral was real beautiful. We played our music like you asked us to. Matt sang, Katie violined, I guitared and sang, Luke guitared and sang, John rapped in the chapel, just like you asked, Nikee and katy sang, and Matt and Mark said funny things. Afterwards it was said, "Wow, that was the best funeral I've ever been too. You guys could have charged money for it."
You rode away in a glass carriage, just like cinderella.
The National guard gave you a 21 gun salute and played Taps on the trumpet for you.
They gave mom the flag.
And your casket was blue, just like your corvette.

You definitely went in style dad. I was real proud of you :)

I understand now what they mean when they say, "they'll be with you in your heart" It always sounded trite and empty to me before, I've never kept anyone else that has passed before kicking around in my heart... but you are, and in a way, you feel closer then you've felt since I was little. Maybe its because you got a free ticket inside my walls... or because you're in a position to protect me and help me again...
Some people say that our guardian angels are made up of the people who love us most.
Dad. There is a peace in thinking you might be looking out for me now from over there.
I love you dad.
2 months.
Feels like 2 seconds, and forever all at the same time.


This Video is my last favorite memory with you dad...
I was singing you to sleep, and then without warning, you woke up and started singing with me.




pps. Me and luke and my roommate katy wrote your Obituary. It was pretty good.

Glenn Frank Cook

1948 ~ 2011

Our beloved father, grandfather, and friend, Glenn Frank Cook, 63, passed away peacefully on Sunday, July 10, 2011. Glenn was born May 21, 1948 in Shelley, Idaho, to Glenn Franklin and Emma Gerber Cook. He married his true love, Deborah Ann Johnson, on April 1, 1976 in the Manti Temple.

Glenn grew up working hard on a farm in Idaho from morning 'til night, developing a work ethic that would serve him and others for the rest of his life. He served an LDS mission in London, England, where he was extremely dedicated to the principles of the gospel. However, this dedication would pale in comparison to the harrowing effort expended in capturing the heart of the ever elusive girl of his dreams, Debbie. Together they took on the world and seven children, which would prove to be his greatest adventure.

From developing government buildings, to drilling natural gas wells, to discovering the next gold mine, all of his dreams were tangible, for to him, nothing was beyond his reach. He was constantly learning new things and lived to help everyone around him by sharing his knowledge. When he wasn't working, you could find him in the fields of his farm, on his horses, in the mountains and always with his family. No matter what he was doing he always made it a priority to let his kids know how proud he was of their accomplishments (no matter how small). He always let his family know how much he loved them.

He is survived by his loving wife, Debbie; his beautiful children (true some are arguably more beautiful than the others): Matt, Amie Jo, Luke (Jessica), John, Mark (Kellie), Nikee (Scott), and Katie; his precious granddaughter Millie, who will miss her "Papa"; his mother, Emma, and 13 loving brothers and sisters.

All the millions of friends that Glenn made in his lifetime are invited to the funeral services, which will be held Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 12:00 p.m. in the Lindon 9th Ward LDS chapel, 1050 E. 100 N., Lindon. There will be a viewing Wednesday evening from 6-8 pm at the Olpin Family Mortuary, 494 S. 300 E., Pleasant Grove and at the church on Thursday from 10-11:45 am. Glenn will be laid to rest in the Lindon City Cemetery.

Happy trails, Dad ...see ya soon.

4 comments:

amy said...

This is as sweet and beautiful and funny as you, Jo. I loved reading it. xoxo

aisy said...

That was really beautiful... as the tears stream down my face. I love you. And I love your family.

Jackie said...

Hug. hug. I came over to your blog right before typing up a letter that your Mom wrote me on my mission...HUGS.
Love you and your Dad.

Pond said...

Jo, this is really beautiful. It made me miss those days when we would talk and talk and talk. Heartfelt stuff. I miss my Jo.