Sunday, December 12, 2010

Floating


Ok, I realize its been almost a year. Its been a crazy year to say the least. I don't even know if anyone checks these anymore, but now that I am not teaching a computer class, and I don't have to stare at computers all day- I'm thinking I am going to try to have a few interesting things to say here.

Todays topic: Floating.

The boy I am madly in love with, got me a gift to a "Float Spa" a while ago. I have always had good intentions of using them, but... so busy. However, these past 2 weeks have screamed to me that I needed a little R&R. So I went.

What is a float spa? Good question. You go. They put you in a "pod" that is filled with super salt water, to mimic the density of the Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea. In that these two bodies of water are MY FAVORITE PLACES for water fun... I was all about the float. So you get in, you're all by yourself, you close the lid... and the music kicks in. Then the ambiance lighting proceeds to shift and change as you try to calm yourself down, and then when you get brave enough, you hit the lights. After a few minutes the music stops and for a FULL hour you are floating in blackness. The temperature of the water is the same as your body so after a little while you can't feel anything anymore. Complete sensory deprivation. They encourage you not to move at all, so that your body can REALLY relax... but... its kind of too fun to stay completely still, your floating in a POD in the Pitch Black! Then before you know it the music comes back on and its time to rejoin the world.
I think my hair weighs 113lbs when wet. I've never noticed before because i always wear swim caps when in water.
They say that floating helps you sleep.
I will tell you this.
Last night, my dreams were more vivid then I have ever seen, and I have had some vivid dreams. They were in fast forward, although I was aware of every single moment. Even stranger was I could hear my conscious mind talking commentary underneath the dream. ex, " the glass staircase represents the trial you are undertaking right now, and the fact that you spilled food on it, on your way up, expresses your fear that it will take a Long time to get through. Your parents are at this party because you know that they are trying to look out for you. .... etc etc etc" just an ongoing interpretation commentary. Then, the strangest part of ALL of my dreams, because I woke up multiple times... i woke up laughing. I woke up, because my stomach was cramping because at the end of each of my dreams I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

I like floating.
I recommend it.

3 comments:

Mary Morris said...

I just happened to check your blog because, you know, it's Christmas and I have your name on my address list and I have no idea if you even still live in Tempe. No clue. Thought I'd see if there was anything here. Anyway, who's this boy?? Where and what are you teaching? Oh, and have you moved in the past while?

J said...

Lovely. I'm excited to see you soon!

Rae said...

I am glad to have you posting again. I want to try a float! Sounds crazy awesome. And your narrative dreams? Girl. You are something else. Miss you.